1 Privacy Statement
OSD is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (Principles) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act). The Principles are designed to protect the confidentiality of information and the privacy of individuals by regulating the way personal information is managed. Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether the information is true or not and whether the information is recorded in a material form or not.
OSD collects certain personal information in order to understand and meet the needs of clients and provide the services they require along with meeting the needs of its employees.
2 Kinds of personal information collected and held
The kinds of personal information that we collect and hold may include information which relates to the following groups:
- Clients including personal contacts at corporate clients or suppliers;
- Applicants for employment with OSD ; or
- Other people who come into contact in the ordinary course of business.
The personal information collected and held will depend upon the individual circumstances of the individual but may include names, addresses, contact and emergency details, employment history, and educational details.
We will ask for your consent prior to collecting, holding, using or disclosing your sensitive information, unless the collection of the information is required by law. Sensitive information can be defined as information or an opinion about an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, sexual orientation or practices or criminal record. Sensitive information’ also includes health information and genetic information about an individual that is not otherwise health information.
3 How personal information is collected and held
This information is collected in a variety of ways, including by way of personal contact such as business activities and events, as well as mail, telephone, email and internet sites such as the OSD Website. Please note that our website does not provide systems for secure transmission across the internet, except where indicated.
4 The purposes for which personal information is collected, held, used and disclosed
In general, OSD may use or disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide products and services to clients;
- To provide administration for employees within OSD;
- To service shareholders;
- To communicate with contractors and suppliers;
- To provide ongoing information about our products and services to people that we believe may be interested;
- To help manage and enhance our products and services, including by surveying customers on their future needs;
- To consider applications for employment; or
- To comply with legal obligations.
5 Information for Particular Individuals:
We may use your personal information to promote and market products and services to you. If you do not wish us to contact you for this purpose, please email OSD@OSDLimited.com
If you are the contact person for a client or supplier, we may use your personal information such as your name, your email address, or your phone number to manage our relationship with your organisation.
Depending on the product or service or issue concerned, we may disclose personal information to:
- Service providers and specialist advisers who have been contracted to provide administrative, financial, research or other services;
- Insurers, credit providers, courts, tribunals and regulatory authorities as required or authorised by law;
- Credit reporting or reference agencies or insurance investigators; or
- Anyone authorised by an individual, as specified by that individual or the contract.
If you are a shareholder of OSD, you may be required to provide us with your tax file number, which is kept securely on the relevant share register. In accordance with Australian tax laws, we may provide certain advice to the Australian Tax Office, including dividend information.
Section 173 of the Corporations Act 2001 requires each of our companies to grant access on request to their share register. The share register sets out all shareholders’ names, addresses and share holdings. Shareholder information is not knowingly disclosed for purposes other than those which we consider to be in the interests of the shareholder, the investor market, brokers, financial journals and market analysts.
OSD may disclose your personal information to your stockbroker, accountant, a family member or other person who you have authorised to be contacted on your behalf. In those circumstances, you will be required to identify that party as your authorised agent.
OSD and its affiliates are not bound by the Principles in relation to handling of their own current or former employees’ records, if those records relate directly to the employment relationship. However, in general:
- We may collect information relating to your current or former employment or engagement including information about your training, disciplining, resignation, termination, terms and conditions, emergency contact details, performance, conduct, use of our IT resources, payroll matters, union or professional/trade association membership, responses to surveys, recreation, leave and taxation, banking or superannuation affairs. We are required or authorised to collect your personal information under various laws including the Fair Work Act, Superannuation Guarantee (Administration) Act and Taxation Administration Act.
- We collect, use and disclose your personal information for purposes relating to your employment or engagement with us including engagement and satisfaction, training, disciplining, payroll, superannuation, health and safety, administration, insurance (including WorkCover) and staff management purposes. We may exchange your personal information with your representatives (including unions) and our service providers including providers of payroll, banking, staff benefits, surveillance and training services. Without your personal information we may not be able to effectively manage your employment or engagement.
- We collect and use your personal information for the purposes related to services we provide to our clients, which may involve your sensitive information as required to fulfil health, safety and environment and occupational health requirements.
5.4 Job Seekers
When you apply for a position with us, we may also collect information about your qualifications, experience, character, screening checks (including health, reference, background, directorship, financial probity, identity, eligibility to work, vocational suitability, drugs/alcohol and criminal record checks). We collect, use and disclose your personal information to assess your application, conduct screening checks and consider and contact you regarding other positions. We may exchange your personal information with academic institutions, recruiters, screening check providers, health service providers, professional and trade associations, law enforcement agencies, referees and your current and previous employers. Without your personal information we may not be able to progress considering you for positions with us.
6 How an individual may access their personal information and seek its correction
OSD has implemented appropriate technological and organisational measures to assist us in ensuring that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and up-to-date. We realise however that your personal information may change frequently with changes of address and personal circumstance. Please contact us promptly at the address set out below to inform us of any changes to your personal information. Similarly, if you are receiving promotional communications, and no longer wish to receive such communications, you may opt out of receiving them at any time.
Under the Principles, you usually have the right to obtain a copy of any personal information which OSD holds about you and to advise us of any perceived inaccuracy. We will consider any recommendation by you to change or correct information and advise you of the action taken. You may request to access your personal information by contacting us at the number or address set out below. Depending upon the personal information you seek, you may be asked to verify your identity in writing.
Please note that in circumstances prescribed by the Privacy Act, you may be refused access to your personal information (for example, if providing access would be unlawful or would have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of other individuals).
7 How an individual may complain if the Principles are breached, and how the complaint will be handled
We expect our employees and contractors who handle personal information to comply with the Privacy Act and will take appropriate action in response to breaches of the obligations imposed by the Principles. Although we seek to engage external service providers who also comply with these requirements, we do not accept responsibility for the misuse of personal information by these third parties.
Any complaint must be first made in writing to us. Upon receipt of the written complaint, we will endeavour to investigate and respond in writing to any complaint within 30 days of receipt of the complaint.
Should you not be satisfied with our investigation and/or response to your complaint, you may take that complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (for more information please visit http://www.oaic.gov.au/).
8 Disclosure of personal information to overseas recipients
As OSD is a company with offices based in both Australia and New Zealand it is possible that your personal information may be disclosed between OSD’s offices in Australia and New Zealand.
The use of that personal information by any overseas recipient is the same as the use by OSD in Australia and as set out above in this policy document.
How to contact us
You can contact OSD about a privacy-related issue by email, phone or post.
Phone: +61 7 3377 4100
Address: PO Box 1678, Toowong QLD 4066